For our final industry ready brief it was Ubisoft with a Character Project. The brief detailed to produce a female warrior, we were given 4 specific areas being Africa, China, Japan and India, time period was not a factor. I decided to go with Indian as I have yet to see it used much at all in video games. I began with moodbaord's to grasp the culture, time period (Mughal Empire/16th century India), I also chose and some religious aspects as the country is heavily influenced by it.
I began with some very brief silhouettes as I knew what I was already going for. I liked the idea of a protagonist character well geared for battle but also with a RPG orientated look.
Afterwards I did some portrait designs to decide how much jewelry I wanted on the face, as this is a cultural aspect most Indian females would have had.
I also realised that at some point I will have to have model a weapon so some concepts were in order, I really liked the detail those old Indian Talwar swords on the handle, some even having jewels incorporated into the design.
I carried on my designs into full body drawings, I did these in 3/4 view to help me when I get into 3D. When I moved into the colour designs I realised the lack of armour, so I added a full chest plate to suggest a stronger warrior aspect, initially I liked the colours of the first designs.
After being happy with the designs I decided to create a quick basemesh and move into sculpting. The reason I opted for Mudbox is because at this point in time I was very comfortable with it, I find its interface is also in sync with 3ds max which is a bonus. I decided to go with a headscarf as it is very traditional and was a nice challenge to sculpt.
I did the retopology using a mix of 3ds max and Mudbox, it speeded up the process as time played a big factor in getting all this done. The texturing was done based of my first coloured design as I felt it was the most attractive.
The final model was rigged and rendered in Marmoset.